Battering Home the Message
ARIA is a company committed to green leadership in the lead battery industry. We believe that the industry should rely on a voluntary closed-loop system to minimize waste at every step of the manufacturing, collection, and recycling process.
A closed-loop circular economy approach ensures that resources remain in use for as long as possible, to efficiently recycle and reuse all major components of a lead battery in the production of new products. It is remarkable that more than 99% of used batteries are recycled and the lead can be recycled infinitely in the production of batteries, with no negative impact to performance.
This circular economy approach not only reduces waste, but it also optimises the production cycle time. With only a 30-40 day requirement for used batteries to be recovered and re-manufactured into new batteries, the system is a successful and efficient closed-loop process.
The circular economy system for lead batteries works as follows:
1. Raw and Recycled Materials: A new lead battery is comprised of over 80% recycled material. The re-manufacturing of battery components, coupled with the high recycling rate of batteries, greatly reduces the mining of virgin materials.
2. Battery Manufacturing: Leveraging a steady supply of recycled lead battery components, battery manufacturers use safe, sustainable practices to make innovative new batteries.
3. Essential Uses: Lead batteries are used in multiple applications including transportation, industrial, medical, data and telecom, renewable energy, military and more. Nearly every hybrid and electric vehicle uses a lead battery.
4. Lead Battery Collection Infrastructure: A nationwide infrastructure, high recycling awareness, customer pay-back programs and reverse distribution models ensures both consumers and industries return used batteries.
5. Lead Battery Recycling: Modern, closed-loop recycling can keep millions of lead batteries from landfills each year. Responsible industry participants leverage best practices to ensure safe and responsible collection, storage, transport and processing of spent batteries.